A Free Web 2.0 Tool For Every Need

I was thinking of pulling together some of my favorite Web 2.0 sites and tools that could be used to run and market your business. Well, I can’t get much more comprehensive than this…259 pages of Web 2.0 sites. The cover says these are social networking sites, but the list is much more broad than that. Just do a search for ‘invoice’ and you’ll find 30 sites, or ‘chat’ (167 results). I’m becoming more and more convinced you could run an entire company on free tools. Question is, are you willing to take the risk….as most of these companies are unprofitable and will run out of VC money at some point.

9 Responses

1. Brian Bond says:

Thanks for posting Sam. It’s amazing the rate at which these businesses are being started. It’s exciting to see the new low barrier-to-entry for individuals with big ideas to start a business and test them out in full swing. I agree we haven’t seen the effect of tightening of VC funding yet and many are not likely to survive, but we’ve seen this before haven’t we. I’m just hoping new distribution methods allow those that fill valuable needs get enough of a hold before the money runs out. Anyway, here’s a resource I watch for the latest Web 2.0 apps: http://simplespark.com/ cheers!

2. Dave Atkins says:

Fascinating list…but who has time to read and digest all that? I think a huge challenge in companies that want to play in this space–is the whole information paralysis problem. Use of social networking tools like facebook and twitter, plus potentially multi-user company blogs feels like the sort of thing people should be doing…but the volume of what is out there is overwhelming. As an early-adopter type, I find myself in “serial-experimentation” mode sometimes, moving on to the next shiny new thing. Then I realize I’m not practicing what I preach as I have trouble keeping up the 2 or 3 blogs I have going, building a twitter presence – @daveatkins – , and dipping into facebook every once in awhile.

3. Tim Malone says:

Great comments. I recently watched Clay Shirky at the Web2expo and thought, if you haven’t seen or heard the comments yet, it was worth checking out. You can find the details at http://www.timmalone.net/blog.
    Even though there are a lot of choices and directions to go concerning software, I think that starting out is the hardest part. Just making a decision and acting on it is the most important thing. Yes, it is hard to maintain a blog or twitter presence, but it kind of gains momentum as the comments start to come in. You learn as you go. People share information and you end up in places that you never thought you’d be.

4. RonnyDidIt says:

WOW! I can’t believe you actually prepared this list! It’ll take me a year to check all of them.
    Thanks!

5. Great list. I wouldn’t be without Squidoo as part of my marketing arsenal. Many thanks, Steve.

6. ViSalus says:

The list is very excellent. Thanks.

7. j.oakhurst says:

Hey Sam, great blog.
    That list is crazy. How many will be around in 12 months?
    How about a list of the only Web 2.0 Sites you need to care about?

8. Monavie says:

I think a huge challenge in companies that want to play in this space–is the whole information paralysis problem. Just making a decision and acting on it is the most important thing.

9. Is this risk to high??
    Kat