Don’t Go Chasing Waterfalls

I just wrote a post about making marketing discoveries. Now I’m going to temper that with that with a post about getting back to basics.

I heard an old pop song on the radio today by TLC called “Waterfalls”. It created a visual image reminding me to focus on the fundamentals.

So much is accomplished by ‘blocking and tackling’. Looking at the metrics, customer feedback, continuously improving what you’re doing now rather than gravitating towards the latest shooting star idea (which of course is more fun). Every businesss needs a portfolio of resources on both.

The lyrics go like this:

Don’t go chasing waterfalls
Stick to the river and the lakes that you’re used to
I know that it’s your way or nothing it all
But I think you’re moving to fast.

Waterfalls are pretty and fun to watch. But there’s gold in rivers.

9 Responses

1. lisa says:

dear sir/madam
    it has concerned me that you have the wrong waterfalls lyrics they go like this:
    Don’t go chasing waterfalls
    please Stick to the rivers and the lakes that you’re used to
    I know that your gonna have it your way or nothing at all
    But I think you’re moving to fast.
    and 1 have you seen the film 4 this song its about a boy who dosent listen to his mother and leaves the house and goes and kills himself by taking some drugs so dont go saying Waterfalls are pretty and fun to watch. But there’s gold in rivers cause your saying drugs are gold??? wats that all about please change
    by
    lisa
    happy to help

2. Richard says:

Lisa,
    This song, as all songs, mean different things to different people. The video to this song was an interpretation of the song by someone, and while the video is a part of marketing the song, it limits the song for those who see the video to that one vision if they have no imagination of thier own.
    The video does follow the lyrics, but in general, when listening to songs many people pick up on parts of the song that appeal to a part of thier life through thier own interpretation of the song.
    While I personally agree with the video’s interpretation of the song, the chorus of the song “mentioned above” is the focal point of the song that many pick up on and can be interpreted many ways.
    Next lesson… open your mind to possibilities, and look at things from many angles, including possible views of others and how subjects may effect them.
    P.S. Not flaming you in any way here, just hoping to open your mind to alternatives, and hoping you no longer judge others because they misquote a lyric, or interpret in a way that you dont find fit. Please dont ask others to change who they are or what they think. Instead listen to them, try to learn what they think and why, and then have an open discussion with them.
    And by the way (my interpretation} of the video is that the young man gets involved in drugs, and then is killed for them. But that is just what I recall of the video, I could be wrong.

3. Charles Brown says:

4. Charles Brown says:

I went to Yahoo searching for the origin of the proverb ‘Don’t go chasing waterfalls . . .’ and I found your site. I am now dumber for having read it. If I could only get that time back, I would never chase a waterfall again. By the way, the word “to” is a preposition used to mean ‘in a direction toward’, whereas “too”, which is the correct word for the lyrics, is used to mean ‘more than enough’, which is what I have already typed.

5. Brian says:

I, too, found this web page by searching for the meaning of the proverb about not chasing waterfalls. And then I read the comments. And then I felt bad for these people who must live with their stupidity each day. OK, yes, you should’ve written “too” instead of “to.” But you were just getting your impressions down and you’ve interpreted the lyrics as you saw fit. Which is the entire point of song lyrics if not proverbs. And while I gather that all of this has to do with your photography and which nature shots you can stand to make the most money, how someone got that you’re advocating drug use is beyond me.
    Carry on.

6. Alfred says:

You people dont’ get it do you…. this person cleared everythign up for me. What he uses are metaphors (tahst’ what i think) It’s not actually GOLD he speaks of, and he’s not saying that waterfalls themselves are pretty and fun to watch. It’s like this: watefalls (which represent what you want, what your ideal “thing” is). They are pretty and fun to watch, but you’ll never get them because they’re only there because that’s what you hope for, it may not be real. Whereas the rivers that you’re already used to has the gold in it. It has what you need in it, it has your wants and needs already there, you just have to fight for it, before you can find it. I can understand this because my girlfriend just dumped me, one of the reasons was cause her ex was talking to her again and she thinks he changed. In reality he hasn’t changed one bit, but she’s chasing waterfalls, and she doesnt’ know the gold is right here waiting for her *sigh* neways, that’s my 2 cents

7. sadie says:

I don’t think that they are saying “don’t go chasing waterfalls” because “waterfalls are pretty and fun to watch. But there’s gold in rivers.” I think it means that waterfalls are beautiful but also extreamly dangerous.

8. changing_my_course says:

Think of what the water is like before the waterfall itself. You are traveling along, excited, enjoying the river before the waterfall, “chasing the waterfall.” Eventually, if you ride the river long enough, you end up at the waterfall, and if you don’t change your course, you fall . . . . right along with the water. Don’t go chasing waterfalls has so much meaning, and everyone has a waterfall. Be it a relationship that you’re putting your all into knowing the you are carrying that relationship on your own, substance abuse, abuse of the internet, or just spending your time on something that will not benefit you; all those are waterfalls that will cause you to fall if you don’t change your course and get out of that river. Don’t go chasing waterfalls, listening to the rivers and the lakes that you used to, listening to who you were in that relationship with, listening to your past addictions and worldly desires. “I know that you’re gonna have it your way or nothing at all, but I think you’re moving too fast.” Get out of that river; you don’t have to chase a waterfall.

9. FMZ840 says:

This is the advice of someone who is older, wiser and experienced in life matters to a young person who has tunnel vision and impulses – “a know it all” who doesn’t take advice from others.
    “Don’t go chasing waterfalls; stick with the rivers and lakes you’re use to.”
    The meaning is simple: don’t simply go after things for sheer excitement; after something where there maybe no turning back which will eventually take you over the edge, crashing down to total destruction.
    Rather stick with the “rivers” meaning go with the flow that you know where it may lead; it might seem to be slow and it can seem to be fast at times… but you know where rivers lead – into something greater than itself.
    Lakes, on the other hand, means stay calm and settled – to that which is peaceful and brings tranquility.
    “Waterfalls” although magnificent to look at and exciting; eventually takes you over the edge where there is NO TURNING BACK. And where do waterfalls take you? Over the edge, crashing down!
    The waters ahead become grand rapids moving faster and faster and when you get closer to the edge, it’s to the point of the water you can’t turn back and it will hurl you down to total disaster.
    “I know it’s your way or nothing at all, but I think you’re moving too fast.”
    In our youth, as previously stated, we have tunnel vision and refuse to see or recognize the visions or advice of those wiser person(s), most of the time a young person gambles and play the game “all or nothing” – placing all his/her chips on black with no insurance of return… it’s a dangerous game for those inexperienced in LIFE matters – the one being experienced can see and must tell the young person that they’re moving too fast or in the wrong direction – a direction which may ultimately lead to death.
    Nevertheless, the final free will decision is the person himself/herself and can fault no one else but they in their heart of heart know that they were given a warning but chose to go it alone or their own way without thought; in reckless abandonment!