5 Debating Tips from a Championship Debater

Last week Ashley, my Niece, competed in the national debate championships in Washington DC. She had debated many years leading up to this, and won many debates in order to get here. The extended family is very proud of her…not the least of which is my father (her grandfather), the professional speaker.

While she didn’t win the championship, she placed well and is a winner for even getting to the national championship.

Here are her 5 tips for winning a debate:

1) Logic – You must be able to logically construct your arguments

2) Resourcefullnes – You need to know how to use the proper evidence, analogies, and examples at the right times.

3) Communication – without adequate communication skills, you won’t be able to reach your audience or your judge… no matter how logical your message may be.

4) Practice – practice makes perfect may be cliche, but without practicing you won’t be able to apply these skills when you need them.

5) Determination – You don’t always win right away, you simply have to keep trying. Don’t give up – once you have mastered the other skills, if you are determined enough, you will do well.

13 Responses

1. Bob smith says:

what would you suggest for a topic beauty is more important brains.
    I have a debate tomorrow at school. I am in the group arguing that beauty is more inportant than brains. Do you have any ideas

2. meg says:

I am debating the fact that “rap music is having a bad influence upon our youth of Australia. I have given eg of the Bobo doll test and role models. any tips?

3. Ann says:

I am doing a course in Ethics and was given this topic for debate.
    Even where a company intends to do the right thing, it is responsible if the action produces unintended harmful consequences.

4. Ibnu Asad says:

Can anyone help me on my debate?? The topic is “IN STRESS, MAN ARE BETTER THAN WOMAN”. Just a few points would be helpful….email me plzzz…..

5. Ashley says:

Hello,
    What would you suggest for a topic that beauty is more important brains.
    I have a debate in a day and a bit at school. I am in the group arguing that beauty is more inportant than brains. Do you have any ideas? Please :)

6. The Champ says:

I suggest you research instead of being lazy and asking people to do your work.

7. Nicole says:

my debate is televison is causing bad behavior for children. I am saying it is not. I have my topics are: it is the way kids think, the producers dont get together to make kids go stuipd, the shows are not reality, parents should explain to kdis what is happening. If you have any help or topics for me email on horrible_teenager@hotmail.com thanx

8. steven bin sun says:

waht izz detabing?

9. maori chik 05 says:

we have been debating for at least 3 wks knw wll actully practisng bt know we have our grps and we are debtng in frnt of the clss an our topc is ALL BOYS SHOULD GO IN ALL BOYS CLASSES and i am in the affirmtve team and hoping ur 5 stps can hlp me bcuse im a vry shy prsn ill shall tll u hw it goes bye

10. maori chik 05 says:

11. Reeba says:

I’ve got this major debate comp comin up and they will give the topic only 1 hr b4….how shud i prepare for this???

12. ME! says:

We have a class debate coming up and I am debating that all boy/girl schools are good, I REALLY do not like the person that I am debating against and would like to make sure that I beat her. Any tips?

13. ME! says:

P.S. If you do have any tips please e-mail me at surveyad@hotmail.com.
    Thank You! :)