Last week Ashley, my Niece, competed in the national debate championships in Washington DC. She had debated many years leading up to this, and won many debates in order to get here. The extended family is very proud of her…not the least of which is my father (her grandfather), the professional speaker.
While she didn’t win the championship, she placed well and is a winner for even getting to the national championship.
Here are her 5 tips for winning a debate:
1) Logic – You must be able to logically construct your arguments
2) Resourcefullnes – You need to know how to use the proper evidence, analogies, and examples at the right times.
3) Communication – without adequate communication skills, you won’t be able to reach your audience or your judge… no matter how logical your message may be.
4) Practice – practice makes perfect may be cliche, but without practicing you won’t be able to apply these skills when you need them.
5) Determination – You don’t always win right away, you simply have to keep trying. Don’t give up – once you have mastered the other skills, if you are determined enough, you will do well.